After solving the mystery and exposing (sounds rather criminal, doesn’t it???) the culprit – all that was left to do was to finish the case with some borders. Ya’ll remember the pile of HSTs that I had after making the blocks right?? Well I didn’t want them to go to ‘waste’ as it were .. not that they would, but I was thinking, I have a mess of HSTs here and they could be a sweet cap off for this mystery.
First of all I thought of just doing a sawtooth border .. but naw .. that seemed to ‘basic’. I thought that a quilt this stunning really needed something special to top it off .. Carmen suggested doing flying geese put on the narrow edge – and I thought that could work .. of course that idea ended up breeding another one .. so I started to play and plot .. Nevermind the lightbulb moment .. I had a super nova!! I grabbed the draft paper and coloured pencils and started to draw and colour and erase and draw and colour .
My initial idea actually had 3 borders in total, but that was would have been overkill with the border that I did finally come up with it .. I thought of repeating the HSTs in straight lines all the way around radiating outward .. but then I started to think that I just had a narrow inner 1″border – that would have been just wayyy to busy! Then I booted up quilt pro and started to play some more .. I finally settled on something that I really liked and would be just right for the quilt ..
My only thought was whether to have HSTs as the corner stones as well, but decided against it as it would have ‘stopped’ the flow – this way your eyes are confined to the center and travel outwards in a nice ‘orderly’ fashion .. I wanted the light purple and dark purple to radiate from the corners of the blocks on each side .. and go thru each colour I had in the order of the quilt – with the background easing out from the edges as it were ..
As for binding, I just might use the background fabric I have left .. I didn’t use all the border fabric that I cut out, so it wouldn’t be to much of a hardship to use that .. or I have some purple from another project that might work just fine! It’s a nice dark purple, so we’ll just have to see how it looks when I get to that point .
So this is now moved to the basting pile .. and should actually be basted pretty soon too! I’ve only the big fan, hopscotch and then this one to baste – oh a few other’s too, but nothing to pressing ..
Now to name it .. For National Quilting Day, I worked on this mystery .. maybe I can incorporate that with the name somehow .. As for quilting it, I ordered some variegated thread from threadart and it’s at the PO Box (come on Dad, go there already!!) and while there’s an orange and another “summer sherbet” type mixture, I’m not sure they’ll work with this quilt .. This purply one is for my hopscotch quilt – so that’s out .. granted I do have some thread I picked up at fabricland the other week that might work .. we’ll just have to see .. oh and it finished up at 36 x 39″.
I do like how this worked with my challenge colour – orange too .. I will be making more of this .. I’m trying to convince Vicki into losing some of her gradients to my stash pile for another version of this quilt 😉 Wish me luck on that one LOLOL