Quilty Bits

20150328_183159.jpgWhile I’ve not sewn a stitch in about a week, I’ve had quilty bits n pieces this week. Which is almost as good LOL  Last month you may remember me talking about a sewing frenzy and that there were prizes involved.  Lucky me won the block of my choice from one of the ladies..  After some thinking I decided on a paper pieced mariner’s star. Linda (the lady that I won the block from), wasn’t so fond of paper piecing, but she was game and I sent her the pattern I’d been saving for a mariner’s star wall quilt.  I received my block last week and she did a fantabulous job!!! I’ve several ideas – I’m thinking about mirroring the quarter sections of the star in the corners, or doing smaller stars scattered in the background, smaller stars of other types – I’m not sure and I so want to do this block justice.  I just love it!!  SO the possibilities are endless – just to decide on one .. that’s going to be the hard part hahaha  And I’m going to love figuring it out.  I’m grateful that Linda decided to try paper piecing one more time.  We’ve both benefited from this – me more so!

Continue reading

Advertisements

Weekend Frenzy ish

20150322_184829This weekend was scheduled as a loosely organized sewing Frenzy on one of my lists.   Mostly just a sewing weekend of checking in with one of my quilt lists.  I didn’t do to much today – mostly inclined to do nothing LOL … It happens on occasion and this was one of them.  I did manage to get five blocks done Saturday and I feel pretty good about what I did.  The latest set is going to be a challenge to me for the inner section. Continue reading

Challenge Accepted

10547703_10152604796578628_7512077994601538049_nI think this is a good idea!  A girl friend and myself are going to try this day by day.

I do yoga for exercise and stay fit and in tune with my body and mind.  Also to try and destress myself and find inner peace – this just might be the next step up in my yoga journey

So starting tmrw, I’ll do my damnedest to not say one negative thing.  Not even to complain that I’m tired.  Should be interesting to see how we do 🙂

Anyone else for this challenge???

Tippy Top Down

20150319_040719By golly it bloody well worked. I was more than a bit sceptical that this would work – mind you I’m tickled pink that it worked!! That means that my blocks will be just fine!!! OH HAPPYDANCE!!!  I’ve managed to frog and re-sew 3 blocks and only one block needed to have new pieces cut for the arcs so far. I was not about to frog the pieced arcs .. oh hellz no!!!  Just the thought of that is enough to give me the uber heebie jeebies.   Continue reading

New Direction

20150317_053851I decided to change direction a smidge. Instead of sewing sections or doing the hardest parts first – as in smaller to larger, I decided to go from the top down – be more exacting than previously and sew slower than before – if that was / is possible .. Amazingly enough it appeared to work. Even with my oh so careful pressing, it still went a bit wonky – I might just have to keep the paper on to help me – I’ll take the other three blocks apart over the week and see if the top down method doesn’t work a bit better for me … Needles and fingers crossed 🙂

I’m not looking forward to frogging those three blocks, but I’m not going to be happy about this until I do.  And with the effort and work I’m putting into this, it really does need to be the best I can do it and I really do need to be happy with it – I can handle the odd pucker as those can be hide with lots of quilting LOL  or even applique if its really bad LOL

Lessons learned and learning

20150315_110201The whole process for making these blocks keeps evolving. First I did the ease in method for the curves with the ends lining up with the paper in – I spent a lot of time frogging seams when the ONE seam did not want to play nice. Then I took the paper off – Still had puckers. And I’ve been sewing enough that this should work! Still having issues.

Then I took the paper off and eased in the seams.  Still had issues.   I spent probably around 4 hours reworking just one seam last night, and it still wasn’t perfect.  I finally got it acceptable. Continue reading