Blowing the dust off ..

20150116_175432.jpgTo say that it’s been a while would be the understatement of the century – I packed up my sewing room to help a friend out in 2012 and it stayed in boxes as life .. happens. The only good thing about it was that when i moved last May, the second worst room to pack in the house was mostly done πŸ˜€ That being said – unpacking 2 years later tends to leave the memory fuzzy as to where on earth everything went. Worst of it was, I couldn’t find my machine oil – so off I went to buy some, as well as thread for piecing, and a new rotary cutter blade. No idea where my sharpener is – all my saved blades are rather useless without it. For the most part nothing was killed to badly in the move – I’ll hold a separate requiem for my long ruler later – I only lost 6″ of it so it was still ‘usable’ to an extent.

What got me moving is a girlfriend of mine is having a baby and her shower is February 1st and her baby girl Ruby needs a baby quilt πŸ˜€ .. oh the ideas that skittered across my brain – I finally settled on a pattern called Kaleidoscope Kites Love the movement in this quilt and the freshness and free spirit feeling it gives me.
baby ruby.jpg
Since I wasn’t doing a full size quilt I needed to modify it a bit and yes I actually DID follow a pattern – for the most part. Since her name is going to be Ruby, I wanted bright bold colours – reds, pinks, oranges (yes I said orange), yellow, blue and purple. Almost all of my stash was intact in it’s usual place – the joys of moving dressers by removing drawers – no boxes required. I did not have enough reds – unless I was doing a scrap quilt which I wasn’t.


So off to Fabricland I went – and i was so disappointed – no FQs in red, no dark pinks to easily matchup, and we will not discuss the oranges. So lowering my expectations I did manage to come up with this combination – what I couldn’t see with the naked eye is that my choice for light red and dark pink were almost the same – // head bang – so I had to settle for the combination on the right


It didn’t take long to get the cutting done and the blocks pieced, that was one night – the next night I squared my quilt and put the borders


With the help of my snoopervisors, this quilt is basted, the label is made and I’ve FINALLY decided on what motif I’mgoing to use. I was thinking ladybugs, but after a bit of looking at various stencils, it started to look like an icky bug LOL .. sooooooo – went to butterflies and will use hearts on the borders πŸ™‚


2 thoughts on “Blowing the dust off ..

  1. Grace, it’s so nice to hear from you again. We were on OST together. I haven’t been keeping up as much as I should with the group. Life happens. Hope you and your family are all happy and healthy. Sherry (Peanut)


  2. Sherry I definitively remember you πŸ™‚ I actually logged in there last night to search out posts on printing on fabric lol .. was way to tired to post at that point in time . it was like 3am lol .. some things do not change. It was awesome to hear from you as well πŸ™‚ I hope you and your family are very good as well πŸ™‚


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s