Blowing the dust off ..

20150116_175432.jpgTo say that it’s been a while would be the understatement of the century – I packed up my sewing room to help a friend out in 2012 and it stayed in boxes as life .. happens. The only good thing about it was that when i moved last May, the second worst room to pack in the house was mostly done πŸ˜€ That being said – unpacking 2 years later tends to leave the memory fuzzy as to where on earth everything went. Worst of it was, I couldn’t find my machine oil – so off I went to buy some, as well as thread for piecing, and a new rotary cutter blade. No idea where my sharpener is – all my saved blades are rather useless without it. For the most part nothing was killed to badly in the move – I’ll hold a separate requiem for my long ruler later – I only lost 6″ of it so it was still ‘usable’ to an extent.

What got me moving is a girlfriend of mine is having a baby and her shower is February 1st and her baby girl Ruby needs a baby quilt πŸ˜€ .. oh the ideas that skittered across my brain – I finally settled on a pattern called Kaleidoscope Kites Love the movement in this quilt and the freshness and free spirit feeling it gives me.
baby ruby.jpg
Since I wasn’t doing a full size quilt I needed to modify it a bit and yes I actually DID follow a pattern – for the most part. Since her name is going to be Ruby, I wanted bright bold colours – reds, pinks, oranges (yes I said orange), yellow, blue and purple. Almost all of my stash was intact in it’s usual place – the joys of moving dressers by removing drawers – no boxes required. I did not have enough reds – unless I was doing a scrap quilt which I wasn’t.

20150117_205510.jpg20150117_205650.jpg

So off to Fabricland I went – and i was so disappointed – no FQs in red, no dark pinks to easily matchup, and we will not discuss the oranges. So lowering my expectations I did manage to come up with this combination – what I couldn’t see with the naked eye is that my choice for light red and dark pink were almost the same – // head bang – so I had to settle for the combination on the right

20150118_215328.jpg20150119_012915.jpg

It didn’t take long to get the cutting done and the blocks pieced, that was one night – the next night I squared my quilt and put the borders

20150118_203838.jpg

With the help of my snoopervisors, this quilt is basted, the label is made and I’ve FINALLY decided on what motif I’mgoing to use. I was thinking ladybugs, but after a bit of looking at various stencils, it started to look like an icky bug LOL .. sooooooo – went to butterflies and will use hearts on the borders πŸ™‚

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Blowing the dust off ..

  1. Grace, it’s so nice to hear from you again. We were on OST together. I haven’t been keeping up as much as I should with the group. Life happens. Hope you and your family are all happy and healthy. Sherry (Peanut)

    Like

  2. Sherry I definitively remember you πŸ™‚ I actually logged in there last night to search out posts on printing on fabric lol .. was way to tired to post at that point in time . it was like 3am lol .. some things do not change. It was awesome to hear from you as well πŸ™‚ I hope you and your family are very good as well πŸ™‚

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s