This week

It was my hope to do this post earlier, but I didn’t get around to it. Some of you are aware that I started my new job on Monday and are wondering how it’s going and how I’m doing with it. Especially after the adventure of Shadow and the centipede on Sunday nite .. **shudder (and no, I’ve not seen it again since, altho reg told me that Kyle killed one .. GOOD BOY!!!!)

The hardest part of going back to work for me was having to find a monkey suit to wear that fits. It’s been over 5 years since I had to wear business dress and business casual – My last job allowed me to wear jeans and the like .. and I am certainly NOT the size I was 5 years ago+ – heh .. But with various purchases in clothes over the past bit, I’ve been able to cadge together some dress / casual pants for work. Shirts / tops aren’t a problem.

Monday was orientation day and that was from 9 – 5. They could have gotten our orientation done easily in 4 hours .. but it seemed that everyone that came to speak to us, was late that day, and didn’t use all the time that was scheduled for them .. so there was a LOT of sitting and waiting. But the good thing is, all my HR paperwork is done (that took 1 ½ hrs), security card is on the way, employee badge is on the way, I’m signed up for my apprenticeship for IT Support / Call Center Agent, all my access to the system work and my biometrics works!! We use biometrics to get into our areas – essentially you enter in part of your employee number and then you have your finger scanned at the doors. rather neat me thinks .. never had a finger print scanning done for access 😀 We didn’t have to stay until 5 on Monday .. I was already beyond brain dead from all the waiting, but the down time enabled myself and my fellow employees to get to know each other a bit and chatter. The day was fairly nice so we did some walking around downtown. Yes we had that much time!

We ended up having to come in at 1:30 on Tuesday to finish our registrations for the apprenticeship program, but were able to leave at 9:30 .. that was another long day and I was rather bored to brain mush .. It moved slowly as not everyone’s system access worked … so it was a day to iron out the kinks and do what we can.

Wednesday on was our regular time of 3:30 – 11:30 and these days went better .. we got into our training more and actually did some role playing for various scenarios that we might encounter – the material is rather dry and plods a bit – our trainer does do a great job and is engaging – but there’s only so much you can do when you are all reading off the same slide show LOL … there’s a nice friendly atmosphere in our training room .. 25 guys and 5 girls there!! I was like :O .. I expected there to be more woman as this is call center training and women are more likely to handle an irate customer better than men .. not that this is a rule of thumb, but women generally have the role of peace keeper and defuser. BUT there is also the technical aspect and you needed to pass a test in order to qualify for hire into this department. That could be the difference maker there .. Now don’t get upset with me and say I’m being sexist .. but more women tend to let the men do the technical stuff if they have a choice .. granted in our house, it’s me that does the puter issues, reg does the video stuff (games, tv, surround sound system etc)

It was really hot in there yesterday .. can you imagine 30 ppl in a room with all those computers on .. even with the windows open .. it just gets HOT. it’s not so bad as I was dressed for it yesterday (Thank God!) As far as the training goes, some of this is going over what I already know as I did Customer service for 3 years .. granted I had no formal training in, but the premise is still the same .. soon as we get our other IDs we’ll be hitting more into the technical aspects of our training and things should get more interesting as it’s learning something I don’t know. Hopefully, we’ll get those today.

I am going to enjoy my last week in the training room as I know that things will get interesting after that. We have a week after our training (and when we pass our testing) then we our paired with another agent for further training on the floor. After that I will be on my own and things will get interesting LOL So it’s rather a vacation a bit for me, boring as hell .. but what can you do .. I’m sure that will end soon enough.

I’ve not done anything quilty wise since monday nite, but plan to do some stuff this weekend . I was content to spend the time with reg and share my day with him .. doing some stuff after work shouldn’t be a problem in time 😀


3 thoughts on “This week

  1. Yep, I was wondering and thanks for sharing with us all about the “dreaded” first day on a new job. Not that you were dreading any bit of it, as it seems to be a great opportunity for you to earn some coin and pump up some brain cells, just to name a couple benefits.


  2. HI Grace, great you have begun your new work!!! I have sent you a letter, so you can look at your posts after 7-10 days?? Aune


  3. Hi, was wondering how your first week went after being off for so long. Hard to get used to I know. I liked the evening shift too as I could sew in the morning before having to leave for work. Enjoy


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s