After spending 2 days researching my blocks and colours for the Initial Colour Challenge on OST, I finally got to cut and sew today .. I pulled my first set of fabrics last nite, but was just to tired to press them out or to cut them, so they were waiting for me this AM.
I started with this block, Ribbon Star and for how simple the block is, it took me forever to cut, square and stitch together .. I just couldn’t believe it! I made 2 of them and this represents “R” in my name for the challenge. I should be able to put this block together with my eyes closed and without even thinking about it, as this was, I guess you could say the base, for the blocks in Kyle’s Spinner quilt. But it took me forever .. I just couldn’t believe it! Talk and I did no frogging for this .. just in reverse I guess. I was worried that my blue, purple and green to were to close to create enough of a contrast, but with the motifs all being different sizes, it worked out quite well actually – but I still want to have more of a difference in tone for the rest of them – I might do these again, I’ll have to see how it all pans out.
This evening I got started on Grandma’s Star, which i found on Jinny Beyer’s site. This one required me to actually cut out templates for the triangle. WOW I had forgotten how to piece these. It only took one goof to get it right, but of course I kept goofing on that ONE section – the poor thing. There’s more contrast between these pieces so the star stands out more. I actually did pretty good piecing this one and even with the goofs it went a lot faster than the ribbon star. I strip pieced the 4 patches and once that was done, it was only the triangles that needed to be done .. maybe part of my problem was I rotary cut the arms and then template cut the background .. but of course I had this thought AFTER I had cut all the pieces out .. and I wasn’t about to recut them if I didn’t have to .. but the 2 blocks I made of this are squared! 😀 So it’s all good
I wanted to get started on the Air Castle block, but Reg had to get some sleep as he was getting called in at 3am .. (he was actually called at 1:30am ..where’s the justice in THAT???) So I stopped piecing for a bit .. Instead I grabbed the bag of yarn that I got from the basement earlier. This was actually one that Kyle had missed when he brought it up for me before – talk about a treasure trove of stuff .. but alas .. most of these don’t have bands as you can see .. While I can look at them and go – oh this is worsted or whatever, some of these I just can’t do that with .. I do know that you figure out what a yarn is by WPI (Wraps Per Inch). It’s a pretty simple concept, you wrap the yarn around a pencil for about 1 – 2″ and then measure how many times it wraps around in 1″. I found a site that shows an example of the wrapping and what weight yarn you have by the number of wraps .. pretty useful me thinks … I certainly did NOT feel like wrapping all that yarn to find out right then and there what it was .. This is going to be a project for when I’m mind numbingly bored! The reason why I went digging into this was to find more worsted weight yarn for the January KAL of mittens – I joined this group on Ravelry called One Skein just to get rid of all these loose onsie twosie balls of yarn .. and I will NOT buy more for these projects – so hunt I do .. but not right now LOL
Remember this sock?? Well, I rather tripped over something in the directions that gave me pause – so I opted to try it on – not a big deal – normally .. (**sigh) I got the sock and I must have had a dropped stitch somewhere because I ended up with a ladder from the cast on edge to the where I started to work the heel – I just could NOT find the dropped stitch – with the variegated colours in the yarn, small needles and the lighting, that stitch was playing hide and go seek and I didn’t have a prayer to find it .. so guess what .. I frogged the whole bloody thing! That sock now looks like this -I hated to do it, but that is not something that I can live with. On a good note – (I AM trying to be positive here) – at least I found this out before I cast off the sock .. I would be so bloody ticked if I had done all that work and had the sock do a ladder up the back of the heel – this was infinitely easier and less painful when you look at it in that light.
I might cut out the last 2 blocks tonite and do them – or I might hunt down some yarn and start the January KAL .. or I might even read – my current book is taking me forever to read!!