Y esterday started out innocently enough – heh that should have been my first warning .. well actually it wasn’t all that bad .. just super busy .. By the time I was able to get around to cutting / sewing, the big push was on for scheduled ‘life’ things.
Kyle was being picked up by my dad to pick up his hockey equipment after school – free ice hockey – can you believe that!?? Equipment, sign up, everything FREE .. I’ve never been able to afford to put him into ice hockey and this was just great – so my dad brings him there, but wants me to come with him .. BUT, I have to get supper cooked, finish the laundry etc, and eat before we left at 6:30 for a meeting at the church for Kyle’s confirmation this year .. oh and Kyle’s off school at 3:30 .. yeah things were a wee bit tight .. so I declined my dad’s offer to accompany him (can we say the word snit), but he was in one of those overgrown kid modes that drives me insane anyways .. so it’s better to have him in a snit than ME bout ready to kill him. We get back home from the church around 8:15 and reg is just getting home from basketball practice .. since my basketball widowship has officially started, I do like to spend time with him .. sooooo – no cutting til Reg heads for bed around 10.
So at 10pm last nite, I finally get to start cutting. As per her instructions, I cut out a 1½” strip of each colour and a 3¾” strip for Fabric D. I start to read her instructions and realized that she’s left out mentioning another Fabric A strip .. so I cut that – then I start to think, let me cut out what I’ll need for one set of blocks from these strips ..
According to the instructions I should get roughly 25 4patches from one strip .. I got 28 – close enough .. This would all depend on your fabric width, be it 45″, 42″ or 40″ I guess I got lucky :D. So I’m happily stitching away and decide to make this quick, so I use my June Tailor short cut ruler .. zip zip zip, put my 4patches together, go to square them, and holybiblebatman, they are all smaller than they should be and I definitely used a ¼” seam – then I remember, whenever I use the June Tailor ruler, I end up with my units being smaller than if I used my fiskars or olfa ruler .. I’m not sure why, holding my cutter at an angle?? The fact that it’s OLD and maybe has nicks out of it?? but that means I have to adjust for the next few rounds when I put the logs on .. no big deal, my seam is a smidge smaller than ¼” but it can throw me off when I piece so I have to remember and take that into account – it gets nerve racking at times.
So merrily doing the blocks, this method is great – rather like crumb piecing, but you do need to watch yourself so you don’t have to much space between them – (remember you have to cut these) .. so out of the 28 4patches, I ended up with 17 patches on logs, I move onto the next strip, I managed to get 12 patches put on logs. I squared up at this time due to my smidging to make my life easier .. I manage to get all 12 patches on the last log, then add the outer log (separate – not strip piecing involved here). I press them, take them to the cutting board and I have a gorgeous 4½“ block .. !?!?!?!?!?!!? It was supposed to be 6″ – OHBLOODYHELL. I instantly knew what I did. Lord, please save me from my own stupidity!
It’s actually quite simple really – I knew that in order to have 6″ blocks, I would need to have my logs and patches have 1½” FINISHED strips, which would mean, I would have to cut 2″ strips .. dingbat here read 1½” strips in the instructions and toddled along blithely in her ignorance (arrogance???) pfft!! TWIT Understandable, but not acceptable. She did state in the pattern just how large the blocks would be – but that was in the intro, tucked into a sentence – I’ll be doing some rewriting I guess.
So at this point, I have 12 blocks that are 4½” and enough 4 patches for 16 more blocks, with 5 other’s with a log on them .. BLOODY HELL
I am not doing this quilt with 4” blocks .. Oh hell NO! I’m only down maybe 3” of each fabric but the blue and that is more like close to 6” .. Plus I have those bad cuts from the june tailor ruler .. So I scrap it and start again .. Good thing I only cut what I needed based on 1 set of strips. Based on quilt pro, I’ll need ½ yard of each colour – the one I will have issues with is the dark pink – not sure I’ll have enough now, but I do have a lighter pink and will just put the light blocks in the center or the corners, we’ll have to see how it plays out .. I could dye more fabric, I have that flamingo pink dye .. And I can do 2 yards instead of 1½ to ensure that the dye is light-ish and not NEON pink ..
So it’s fixable with a few options – Lord save me from my own stupidity please – grant me the intelligence to check things twice before I do stupid stuff like this …
Well I guess I have the makings for a wallhanging for this (**rolling eyes)