I ‘ve been promising Carmen this recipe for a bit now, but hadn’t taken pics or typed it up yet .. would rather show what it’s supposed to look like 🙂 This dish can be made with either pork or chicken .. I’ve not tried it with anything else yet .. but that doesn’t mean that you can’t .. for the vegans out there, I’m sure you could use tofu, etc ..
Oh I’ve also done this recipe in the crockpot, in the oven and on the stove .. pretty versatile, eh? and Reg actually likes it .. that man is so bloody hard to please – he’s going to give me a complex I swear!
Saucy Mushroom n Pork (or Chicken)
4 – chicken breasts / pork chops
½ a large onion – chopped
mushrooms – sliced / chopped – I use a lot since we like them so much, adjust for your personal preference
½ cup chicken broth
3 tbsp ranch dressing
2 tbsp dijon mustard or spicy mustard of choice
salt & pepper to taste
Crock Pot Method
Now every recipe you have can be converted to a crock pot recipe, basically all you need to do is ½ your water / liquids – here’s a great link here to help you and another one here for cooking times.
- Spice then brown your meat first, while that’s browing, mix together the chicken broth (½ the liquid stated so a ¼ cup instead) ranch dressing and mustard, mix well, put aside.
- Layer your onions and mushrooms in the bottom, add your browned meat, pour your dressing, mustard and broth mix, cover and cook for 4 – 6 hours on low.
- Preheat oven to 325º
- Spice then brown your meat first, while that’s browning, mix together the chicken broth, ranch dressing and mustard, mix well, put aside.
- Place chops / chicken in baking dish, cover with onions and mushrooms and add ranch mixture
- Cover with foil and bake for roughly 45 mins – 1 hr. Each meat cooks differently in the oven – for chicken it was like 50 mins.
- If you find that your sauce isn’t thick enough – place sauce into saucepan, mix about 1 tsp of cornstarch with some water, add to sauce and bring to a boil while stirring.
Stove Top Version
- Spice then brown your meat first, (I do this in a 13″ frying pan) while that’s cooking mix together the chicken broth, ranch dressing and mustard, mix well, put aside.
- Once browned to your satisfaction, add onions, mushrooms and ranch mixture to pan
- Turn your heat down to about medium – stirring GENTLY on occasion – this should take about 25 mins or so cook through
- If you find that your sauce isn’t thick enough – place sauce into saucepan, mix about 1 tsp of cornstarch with some water, add to sauce and bring to a boil
In the meantime, cook up your rice or potatoes or pasta and veggies that you are having with as a side and voila! super quick and easy supper that tastes great ..
Remember that mushrooms and onions have a high liquid content and will add to the liquid level in all methods .. I prefer to add more ranch and mustard and let the water take care of itself .. in each method I have had to do the cornstarch trick at the end.
Have fun with it and I hope I’ve not missed anything .. oh I have no clue where I found this recipe, but I know I’ve adapted from it’s original version anyways .. heh .. i’m not even sure that the original author would recognize it