T oday I needed a break from cutting, measuring, piecing, measuring, cutting, piecing .. with having done the big push for Gran’s quilt and then getting Kyle’s top done – I just didn’t want to sew today at all .. well let me rephrase that .. I didn’t want to have to think today .. so I didn’t 😀 Instead I pulled out my new fabric paints and decided I was going to play instead .. well piecing n quilting is play too .. but not today.
I’ve been itching to do this for a while now, but didn’t know how I would have felt with these projects laying around with me flinging paint around .. and I finally found a use for the puppy training pads that we didn’t use up – well we stopped layout them out as she turned them into confetti instead of peeing on them .. crazy dog!
So I decided that I would do dimes – I figured that if I hate it, 10 x 10″ wouldn’t be a huge hit out of my dyeing fabrics .. and besides that gave me 4 charms per strip – the hardest part was picking what colours to use .. I had everything I needed; sponge brushes, twine, water, paint and fabric 🙂 oh and a will to have some fun ..
All the pictures are clickable for larger images
Here’s the first one – I folded it in half over the string diagonally from the corners, then fipped it around, then smushed it up like a scrunchie then went nuts dabbing away with a sponge brush and diluted paints .. when I opened it up (thanx Vicki), I saw what I was afraid of .. white in the center .. ah well .. not a big deal .. I just misted it with water again .. wet my sponge brush and dabbed away again with a different fold (more like a squish) and got the final result .. I very pleased 😀
Here’s another one that I checked and wasn’t happy with the middle .. this was another scrunchie type fold, and while it wasn’t white, it didn’t have a lot of colour in the middle – there is way more green in the finished version than I was able to get to show in the picture ..
This one I colour-washed in orange first then dabbed other colours on it .. i was going for a fall look here, but it’s mostly orange with some russet -there is red and lighter yellow, but you really can’t see it all that well .. I am wondering what would happen if I redabbed it with yellow .. prolly turn oranger LOL .. ah well .. it is a pretty piece – took me about 4 pic attempts before I could get a decent looking shot of the scrunchie part
This one I folded and twisted loosely and rather tied like a pretzel .. and dabbed like made in a bunch of colours, greens, purples, blues, reds, oranges .. a whole slew of them 🙂 I love the result of this one – I just wish it was darker …
Now i had a few strips of WOW left over and remembered when you died them that the WOW pattern really POPPED .. well I decide to do these strips .. I’m not really pleased with the final result at all .. in fact, on the one with purple, I would rather just use the back of it LOL – the scrunchies and finished item are shown in the same order ..
Now from this I learned to not dilute my paint so much .. let the dampness of the fabric make it spread .. looser scrunchies work best me thinks – well at least until I get more comfortable and better at it – use MORE paint for darker vibrant colour .. I LOVED the looks when they were wet .. wished I would have used more paint to get a more vivid bright look .. I just LOVE doing this .. gives me a way to personalize any project with whatever look I want .. and it is super easy .. the hard part .. waiting until you can open it up 🙂 No more WOW for this stuff .. either pfd or just good old plain muslin is good too ..
I also did some shaving cream marbling, but the the shaving cream still isn’t dry, so i’ll let that sit over nite and then rinse it out tomorrow
Have a great weekend!