Remember this post where I discussed that my backing had puckered and distorted when I did my basting stitch along the edge .. well come to discover that was only part of the problem .. More like the result of the main problem .. when I had quilted on the diagonal in the borders for the HSTs, that is where the stretchies happened .. and this wasn’t apparent as the issue until AFTER I got the bloody binding on !@#$&&. You can see where all the waves are at .. right at the HST quilt lines. – bloody hell
I can stand a few waves, but not these tsunami – I saw that and my heart just sank and I felt just sick with myself. I knew I couldn’t call this quilt done once the binding was on, but I didn’t think I would have this much to undo.
Never one to be daunted for long 😉 .. I thought of a few options / ideas here ..
- Maybe I can run a long basting stitch along the binding and along the border and maybe the seam line itself to see if I can ‘gather’ it in – you know like in garment construction – I would do this LONG stitch by hand so I can make the stitches long than my machine can and to also avoid more stretchies
- Take all the border quilting out – I have to take out some stitching due to the puckers anyways .. soooooo .. and if the gather idea doesn’t work, more quilting will have to come out.
- Pick apart all those areas and do a dart like in garment construction that should hopefully lie right along the quilting line
- Pick apart all those areas and do a ‘patch’ of sorts with unstretched flannel
Oh and liberal starch whatever I do where I stitch / quilt goes without saying.
So this is going to be an interesting day to say the least AND Kyle is home on a PD day today .. I think I’m in for a challenging day!
I’ll get over it, but I’m not going to be happy about having to get over it – Hey T, I think I need to borrow some big girl pants or maybe someone just shoot me 😥