Well Reg’s quilt is almost totally quilted. I’ve done almost all of the top; criss-crossed through the squares, 3 lines per section; and put in football, baseball and basketball equipment quilt motifs in the ‘blank’ spaces. Here’s a shot of the back of the quilt, I ruffled it a bit so you could get more of an idea of with the shadows for the overall quilting patterns.
I’m not sure if you remember but when I did the logos for this quilt, I had an inspiration that made doing them a whole lot easier. I created outlines of the images, converted it to black and white then printed it on paper. I used my sullivan’s to tack the paper onto the quilt for stability while zigzagging (for the logos, not the motifs) and that gave me the idea for EASY quilt marking without marking my quilt! Again I created the outlines, printed it out, and tacked it on .. then I freemotioned and put the motifs in the blank spaces.
It went VERY quickly, no shifting of my pattern and since i just did a light mist, no residual stickiness. Worked like a charm.
For the borders, i’m thinking of diamonds .. but that’s not what they are called, it will be a rectangle with a triangle on top and bottom of rectangle. Then I put the binding on and voila! time to hand sew it on, wash it and reg can have his quilt 😀
I decided to try my 15-91 for the quilting – the feed dogs seem to want to sleep on the odd occassion and the quilt stopped moving (!), but I was ready for it after a few times and it went well .. Freemotion quilting on this machine is a DREAM .. not once did my thread break!! It was great!! Since i didn’t have a cover plate for the feed dogs nor can I lower them, I used a mccain pizza box to cover the dogs .. worked like a charm!!
This gives me all the confidence I need for the freemotioning that I am thinking about for my kitty quilt .. I’ll be getting back to that one soon .. but first swap blocks, and kyle’s quilt :S .. poor kid, his isn’t even basted yet!